STORM UPDATE: Evacuations extended until at least Wednesday

heloscout

Emergency officials, after a 1 p.m. meeting Tuesday, decided to extend the evacuation of several parts of Longyearbyen until at least Wednesday.

“The situation is better when it comes to the risk of flooding and debris flows,” said said Gov. Kjerstin Askholt in a prepared statement. “The situation remains uncertain with regard to landslides.”Rain and temperatures up to five degrees Celsius are forecast tonight.

Another helicopter survey of the area and meeting of emergency officials is scheduled Wednesday.

The city is again asking people to try to find their own accomodations. Those who cannot should call 989 05 388.